1. What’s your name? – René Leonçe
2. What’s your age? – 22 years young
3. Where are you from? – London, England
4. What university/school do you attend? What major?
I am currently studying a Bachelor of Education (Teacher Training) at the University of Derby
5. What’s your favorite country/state?
Although I have never been, it has to be Brazil! The landscape is absolutely beautiful, their love for samba is infectious and they’re football (soccer) mad. However, I have a real affection for India, Kenya, and the Oceania region and will hopefully visit these countries in the near future.
6. What’s your favorite camp activity and why?
Rock climbing/ challenge course!
It’s amazing when campers conquer their fears and complete elements of the challenge course that seemed ‘impossible’ to do only mere days ago. It’s also great see God’s love manifest itself during the team building activities and through the support and encouragement that the campers give each other at the challenge course.
7. What are you most looking forward to about next summer and why?
Re-uniting with all the incredible people I met last year, in addition to meeting loads of new fantastic people this summer.
8. What’s your favorite camp core value (Community, Christian Formation, Developing Leaders or Natural Setting) and Why?
Perhaps a draw between community and natural setting? The people I have met (and will meet) at camp are now such a significant part of my life, they really do feel like family. As for the natural setting, just looking at the sunset, the ocean waves on a sunny day or the way the stars glisten in the clear night sky at camp is a surreal feeling. One I have yet to experience anywhere else…
9. What’s your dream job/vocation/calling for life?
I consider myself extremely lucky to be doing the best job in the world, teaching. After graduating next year and teaching for a year in my native England, my dream would be to travel around various 3rd world countries and teach those who are most in need (e.g. in orphanages or underprivileged schools). And if I could spread the gospel while doing so and be a positive Christian role model, then that would be the icing on a very lovely cake!